Bliss balls have been around since coconut oil became a household staple, but our bliss ball recipe is made with a twist. In an effort to reduce sugar and increase fibre intake, figs are our choice of replacement for the typical date. They have a naturally high fibre content and are lower in sugar. Additionally figs have more than twice the amount of iron and calcium when compared to dates, and hence just can’t be left out of our vegan cacao bliss ball recipe.
Serves: This bliss ball recipe makes around 15-20 bliss balls depending on the size that you roll them into.
Preparation time: soak overnight
Cooking time: approx. 30 mins
Ingredients for bliss ball recipe:
- 1 cup figs
- 1 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup DUST cacao infusion of your choice
- 1 tsp vanilla
- pinch salt
Optional for soaking the figs:
- 120ml Energy Tea
You can also experiment with different ingredients of your choice, such as goji berries, almonds, cinnamon powder or hemp protein powder. In case you use any berries, make sure to also soak them with the figs overnight.
How to make bliss balls:
- Soak the figs in water (or optionally Energy Tea) overnight.
- In the morning, separate the figs from the liquid by straining them.
Do not throw out the liquid! You will need it later on.
- Combine the sunflower seeds, figs, vanilla, salt and DUST cacao infusion in a food processor until crumbly.
- In case the mix is not soft enough (should stick together when pressed) add a sip of the liquid you kept into the processor.
- Take a spoon of the mix and roll it into delicious cacao bliss balls using your hands. You can also coat them in coconut flakes or another ingredient of your choice. We like to use rose-hip powder for the finishing touch.
The vegan cacao bliss balls can be store in a refrigerator for a couple days.