Feeling like something hearty for dinner? Our roasted vegetable tart based on grandma’s old recipe will give you the ultimate feeling of satiety. Admittedly, it is not a quick fix with the preparation being long, but the taste is simply divine.
Roasted Vegetable Tart Ingredients:
We recommend all ingredients to be organic, as it is part of our philosophy, but you do you.
For the pastry you will need:
- 2 cups spelt flour
- ½ tspn sugar
- ¾ tspn salt
- 140g butter
For the filling you will need:
- 1 small kumara potato, cubed
- 2 red capsicums, stems removed
- 1 small fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut into 8 wedges
- 2 red onions, thinly sliced
- 115g goats cheese
- ¾ cup double cream
- 2 eggs
- 9 tbspn coconut oil
- 1 tbspn balsamic vinegar
- 2 tspn thyme
- 2 tspn rosemary
- Salt & pepper
How to make roasted vegetable tart:
Start with the pastry. Preparation is key. The crust can be made one day ahead and stored airtight at room temperature.The vegetables can also be prepared one day ahead and stored separately in the fridge. When you do it this way, only the last 3 steps listed at the filling recipe (6,7,8) have to be done on the actual night.
Pastry recipe for roasted vegetable tart:
- In a food processor, pulse flour, sugar and salt.
- Add butter and pulse until it forms a coarse meal with pea-size lumps.
- Slowly add 3 tbspn of ice cold water over mixture and pulse again. Moist lumps will form. Add more water if too dry.
- Collect dough into a ball and flatten into a disk.
- Wrap in plastic and chill until firm – from 1 hour to 2 days.
- Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface to a 13″ round.
- Transfer to pie dish; press onto bottom and up sides of dish.
- Trim dough, leaving 1/2″ overhang. Fold overhang under; crimp edges. Freeze for 10 minutes.
- Line dough with foil or parchment paper and fill with pie weights. Bake for 25 minutes at 180°C.
- Remove foil and beans. Return to oven and bake until crust is light golden brown, 25–30 minutes longer. Let crust cool completely.
Filling recipe for roasted vegetable tart:
- Preheat oven to 230°C.
- On a small baking dish, drizzle 2 tbspn of coconut oil and place the whole capsicums on top. Roast on upper rack, turning occasionally for about 40 minutes or until tender. Then transfer to a small bowl and cover with glad wrap. Let stand for 15 minutes. Peel peppers, then tear into strips. Set aside.
- Add 2 tbsp of oil, salt and pepper to a small bowl to coat. Add the kumara potato and mix until fully seasoned. Spread out in a single layer on a rimmed baking tray and roast on middle rack for 20 to 25 minutes, until tender. Add the sweet potato to the eggplant and mix gently. Set aside.
- Toss the tomatoes with vinegar, 1 tbspn of oil, and a pinch of salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Line a rimmed baking tray with baking paper and arrange tomatoes skin side down. Roast on lower rack until tomatoes are beginning to brown and are tender but not mushy (about 20 minutes). Set aside.
- Heat 4 tbsp of oil in a large pan over medium to high heat. Add onions and fennel. Cook whilst stirring frequently, until parts of the vegetables are slightly softened and others still crisp (approx. 5–6 minutes). Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Scatter onion-fennel mixture over bottom of tart crust. Top with kumara potato and roasted peppers. Scatter 2 tsp of fresh thyme over it. Top with goat cheese and tomatoes.
- Whisk eggs and cream in a small bowl. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Slowly pour egg mixture over vegetables. Scatter 2 tspn of fresh rosemary on top.
- Bake the tart in a preheated oven (180°C) until filling is set and pastry is golden brown. This takes approximately 50–60 minutes. Let stand for at least 10 minutes. This delicious roasted vegetable tart can be served warm or at room temperature.
We recommend serving the roasted vegetable tart with fresh rocket, pear and walnut salad on the side.