Who needs an excuse to start the day with chocolate for breakfast? We don’t. But if you do… Our delicious cacao granola recipe is easy to make at home, gluten free and naturally sweetened with honey or maple and rice syrup.
Ingredients for a gluten free granola recipe with cacao:
- 4 cups rolled oats (use certified gluten-free oats for gluten-free granola)
- 2 cup raw nuts and/or seeds (for example ½ sunflower, ½ almonds, ½ pepitas, ½ sesame seeds)
- 1 teaspoon fine-grain sea salt
- 2 tablespoons of your favourite DUST cacao infusion
- ½ cup melted coconut oil
- ½ cup maple syrup or honey or rice syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Optional additional mix-ins:
- Coconut Flakes*
- ½ cup dried fruit, chopped if large (for example cranberries, raisins, pawpaw)**
How to make homemade granola with cacao:
Let’s start the granola recipe by preheating the oven to 180°C and line a large, rimmed baking dish with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the oats, nuts and/or seeds, salt and DUST cacao infusion.
Stir to blend.
- Pour in the oil, syrup and vanilla. Mix well, until ingredients are lightly coated. Pour the granola onto prepared dish and use a large spoon to spread it in an even layer.
- Bake until lightly golden, about 20 to 25 minutes, stirring halfway. Then press the stirred granola back down with your spatula to create an even layer.
*At the half way mark – sprinkle the optional coconut flakes on the top to became golden.
- Remove from oven and let the granola cool completely, undisturbed (at least 45 minutes). The granola will further crisp up as it cools.
Break the granola into pieces by stirring around with a spoon.
** Add the optional dried fruit at this stage if desired.
The granola made with this easy recipe can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for 1 to 2 weeks.
Enjoy the wonderfully nutritious breakfast with milk, yoghurt, kefir or fresh fruit.
Tastes best when shared with others ♡